Campus Watch in the Media
Middle East Studies directors put on the spot over academic boycott of Israel pledge
by Thomas Lifson
Six directors of taxpayer-supported Middle East Studies centers at American universities have signed a public letter pledging "not to collaborate on projects and events involving Israeli academic institutions." However, as Winfield Myers of Campus Watch reports:
The six directors are:
· Lila Abu-Lughod, Middle East Institute, Columbia.
· miriam cooke (no relation to e.e. cummings), Middle East Studies Center, Duke.
· Osama Abi-Mershed, Center for Contemporary Arab Studies, Georgetown.
· John Esposito, Prince Alwaleed bin-Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding, Georgetown.
· Helga Tawil-Souri, Hagop Kevorkian Center for Near Eastern Studies, New York University.
· Gabriel Piterberg, Center for Near Eastern Studies, University of California, Los Angeles.
These academics should be under close scrutiny, and their centers' funding cut off, if they violate the terms of their grants by acting on their personal animus agaist Israel.Note: Postings in "Campus Watch in the Media" do not necessarily reflect the views of Campus Watch.
Campus Watch contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org